Friday, November 17, 2006

BookEnds Talks to Deb Baker

Deb Baker
Book: Dolled Up for Murder
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Pub date: October 2006
Agent: Jacky Sach


Deb Baker is the author of two debut novels this year—Murder Passes the Buck, a Michigan Yooper mystery featuring local amateur sleuth Gertie Johnson, and Dolled Up for Murder, the first in the Dolls To Die For series with Gretchen Birch, a Phoenix doll restoration artist.

Author Web site: www.debbakerbooks.com

BookEnds: Describe your book in 50 words or less.
Deb: A message clutched in the fist of a doll collector found dead near a Phoenix mountain implicates Gretchen Birch’s mother. All evidence points to her as the killer, but Gretchen knows she’s innocent. The problem is, her mother has disappeared—and she’s left an urgent warning that Gretchen is in danger, too. . . .

BookEnds: What do you think distinguishes your work from that of other authors of this genre?
Deb: Dolled Up for Murder is a traditional cozy in many ways—miniature purse dogs, a three-legged cat, and a family of very snoopy females. But the subject matter distinguishes it from others of this genre. The Dolls To Die For series is the very first mystery series to feature dolls. And since doll collecting is the second largest hobby in the country (after stamp collecting), that makes it unique.

BookEnds: What is your favorite thing about this book?
Deb: The research! Climbing Camelback Mountain and looking out over Phoenix, sipping margaritas (um . . . so I know how they taste), and slurping chile stew. Visiting doll shows is the most fun. Doll people are very friendly and have supported me throughout the writing process, answering all my questions and telling me stories. My collection has begun to grow from a few childhood dolls to . . . well, who knows where it’ll go from here. I’ll be in Arizona in early November visiting bookstores and doll shops. Check my appearance page if you live close by. I’d love to meet you.

BookEnds: What’s your next book? When and where should we look for it?
Deb: Next up is Murder Grins and Bears It, coming out May 1, 2007. Then another doll collecting mystery, Goodbye Dolly, in September. I’m writing like crazy.

BookEnds: What has been your most successful marketing campaign?
Deb: The Internet is a wonderful thing. I contacted doll show promoters across the country and offered to send postcards for their shows’ flyer tables. The response was overwhelming. I’ve sent out 5,000 postcards to shows.

BookEnds: Besides making your first sale, what has been the most fun thing to happen to your writing career?
Deb: The reviews have been awesome for both books. It’s such a thrill when others enjoy my work. Doll magazine featured me in its current issue and devoted an entire colored page to my collection of dolls. That was the best.

To learn more about Deb Baker, see Our Books at www.BookEnds-Inc.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met Deb at Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale. I read both her books and loved them. She is a very warm and engaging person. Good luck with you writing Deb.

Jean Steffens/Scottsdale