Friday, June 25, 2010

Query Status

Want to know where things stand with me and queries at this point? I'm not sure you really do. It's been a crazy busy month and the last two weeks have been the craziest. Needless to say, while I've been very busy submitting new projects, handing out revisions to clients and reading new material I've fallen very behind on my query reading.

In my inbox right now I have 360+ queries and am caught up through June 5, anything submitted prior to June 5 has been answered. If you have not received an answer on a query only I did not receive it.

I have roughly 14 proposals I still need to read. The oldest dates back to May 1 and I hope to get to it very soon.

I have 3 client submissions of various lengths that need to be read. Of course these are top priority.

This week I did a preliminary read on one client proposal. I need to read it a second time to give feedback. I did incredibly thorough revision on another client proposal, I read a full manuscript for consideration (had an offer from another agent) and I read another proposal that also had an offer.

Oh, and of course I did things like answer emails, make lunch appointments, review contracts, negotiate contracts and talk to authors.

Life is good. Have a great weekend.

--Jessica

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally understandable.

I'm just kinda bummed I won't have the chance to query BookEnds with my current project. I have multiple offers and a decision must be made.

Oh, well, maybe down the road, since it's unlikely I'll stay where I'm at for the duration of my career. This isn't a perfect world, after all.

Regina said...

I like the fact that you are straight up about where you stand on it. It is refreshing to see for aspiring writers. Some just don't get it when they query or submit. They wait and wait and wait. Praying to be answered soon.

What they don't understand is that there are millions of writers out there that would love to be published all at the same time and it is very hard for every agent who has been queried to give adequate attention to every query and find those who have the right ingredients.

I am no where near ready to query yet. My ingredients are lacking but I am working through them to make them create something that 'I hope will be worth reading.'

Thanks for the post and reality check for those wondering why they haven't heard anything back yet. Have a wonderful weekend and I hope you get caught up in the future. Take care of you.

Kate Douglas said...

Reading your post made me laugh...I think we have much in common. When I'm stressed to the max with too much work (like now!) is when I'm happiest. There's something so cool about knowing there's more out there to do when it's something I love doing. Hope you can enjoy the weekend!

Stephen Kozeniewski said...

What you need to do is just shake things up. Just skip ahead and read the proposals from, say, June 2nd. That'll get you out of your funk.

JVRC said...

So, you're not really busy, eh? ;-)

Sorry, I had to. It was right there. I sent my query a few days ago and I surely wasn't expecting a response that quickly. I'd rather have someone take the time to look at it and be sure than get a half-arsed response because that someone didn't take the time. At least I know it will be an honest crit.

Prettypics123 said...

Nice little peek into the working life of an agent. You guys read a lot!!!

Stephanie said...

Wow! These types of posts never fail to put me in awe of you! I can't imagine an inbox that full!!! Wishing you lots of luck!!

Rehman said...

In your inbox right now there're 360 plus queries... you've roughly 14 proposals... and 3 client submissions of various lengths that need to be read... now I got an idea about agenting... lol!

CFD Trade said...

Blessed be the abundance!