Thursday, July 02, 2015

The Importance of Respecting Your Own Writing

Recently I received a query in which the author seemed embarrassed about the genre she was writing in. Sadly, I see this a lot and not just from querying authors, but from published authors as well. It's discouraging and disheartening.

See, I love the books I represent and I love the authors I represent. I'm proud of each one and excited to introduce them to new readers. Most importantly, I respect every author of every genre, even those I don't represent.

Sitting down to write a book in any genre, of any length is no easy task. I couldn't do it and I know many in publishing who feel the same way. It's why we aren't writers. So don't let someone else tell you that what you're writing isn't a "real book" or isn't important. It is. And if you can't be proud of your book how are you going to convince other people it's something they want to buy and read? Learn to love what you're writing now and it will show later when you're trying to build your brand.

--jhf

6 comments:

Artemis Grey said...

SO. MUCH. LOVE. FOR. THIS.

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more. The issue is that writing quality can be cyclical, so we have to be able to send the work in which we feel most confident and not apologize for our sinking spells.

Vickie Fee said...

Unfortunately, sometimes this shame is dumped on authors. When I told an aquaintance I'd written a murder mystery her response was, "Why would you want to write in that genre?!" Since she's someone whose accomplishments I admire, this hurt my feelings. But upon reflection, I decided that wanting to move into the writing neighborhood of people like Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers isn't exactly slumming!

Elissa M said...

I would never be uncomfortable about my genre when discussing it with an agent or other publishing professional, but "regular" people can be very judgmental.

I write epic fantasy, and I've often struggled with others' misconceptions. Now, I just say, "It's kind of a combination Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones thing." That smooths over a lot of awkwardness while I explain how my work differs from those popular examples.

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

Those who belittle effort are small minded and self-centered. Assigning your meaning to another's accomplishments is narrow mindedness.
Writing tens of thousands of words in any genre, any form, is a task worthy of pride. Writing ten words well can change your life.
Great post.
It should hang of walls.

AJ Blythe said...

I have to confess that I used to be almost apologetic for my writing, because it wasn't something that seemed to gain respect with others (outside of writing circles). In fact, I used to keep it as a deep and dark 'secret life' most of the time.

Not any more. I have stuck above my computer: The most painful thing to experience is not defeat but regret. Letting others influence how I felt about something I was passionate about was self-defeating. I realised if I didn't take pride in something I love I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

I love what I write and am very proud of it.

Wonderful post.