So I’ve put together a list of all of those things that make a dream client the favorite, and keep in mind, many of them are tongue-in-cheek and just lots of fun.
As a reminder, Favorite Client needs to have many of the same traits as Dream Client. She needs to:
- Write books I love and make me lots of money by doing so.
- Understand that this is a business and that making a business work takes a lot more than just a great product (although that is essential).
- Communicate. Telling me her hopes, fears, dreams, and goals helps make me more effective and helps us have a better relationship.
- Publicize her books.
- Listen to and learn from the advice I give, as well as feedback from her editor. Together we can work to build her career if we listen to each other.
- I would so prefer the client who feels the need to call or email daily just to stay in touch than the one I never hear from. I can't be effective at my job if I don't know what your expectations are or even what you need in that moment.
- Understand the relationship, that I work for you, not against you, and that we are team.
- Move forward, working on the next big thing instead of obsessing about all of those old projects under the bed.
- She is filled with endless brilliant and marketable ideas. I know that if one project fails her she’ll be ready with another for me. And each will be more brilliant than the one that came before it.
- She loves sending me small trinkets and reminds me constantly how great I am.
- Favorite Client is so much fun to be around that I can’t wait for lunch dates and plan the entire day around them. After all, Favorite Client is too much fun for just a short lunch.
- Understands that I have a life too. She doesn’t get angry at me for taking vacation or not answering emails on the weekend.
- She shares the good news as well as the bad and knows that I’m more than just a sounding board for her complaints about the publisher.
So how about you? I know what you want in a dream agent, but what would you want in your favorite agent?