Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Blow Me Away

Occasionally on Twitter I host an #askagent session that allows fellow Tweeps to ask me questions live. If you’re ever up extremely early in the morning (roughly 4 a.m. EST), hop on to see if I’m hosting.

In a recent session I was asked about a recent submission that wowed me, and I thought this was a great question to share with my blogger friends as well. Very often when I read an amazing submission, or an amazing book, it makes me want more of the same. So to give you an idea of where my head is at this very moment, here is a list of some things I’ve read recently that have blown me away.

In no particular order, here are five things that I’ve read that have blown me away. Keep in mind that one of the biggest reasons they’ve all blown me away was because of the author’s voice.

  1. A narrative about a puppy and the animal control system.
  2. A memoir by a mommy blogger
  3. A steampunk YA
  4. A cross-genre fantasy romance
  5. Warrior by Zoe Archer

Believe it or not I seem to be opening more and more to memoirs and current affairs narratives.

I absolutely loved the steampunk YA. Can’t stop thinking about it. I would love to see more like this.

I’ve always really enjoyed the cross-genre fantasy romance and feel that some of the books I’ve done definitely fit this area. In my mind, they are books that go beyond paranormal and appeal to both types of readers.

Warrior is just a great book.

Jessica

14 comments:

M.A. Leslie said...

I just realized after reading your entry and googling the results of a search that my MS fits cross-genre fantasy romance better than what I have been trying to pawn it off as. Is there any site, book, or something for dumbies that you would recommend that gives straight definitions to genres?

Sarah J. MacManus said...

Jessica - are you adding YA to your lists, too?

Beth Fred said...

What do you mean by "steampunk" ya?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,

Would you consider an adult cross-genre literary novel? I get the impression that Bookends mostly likes romance, so just wanted to check. Thanks!

Scott said...

So, when my cat gets me up at 3AM (central time) I need to check Twitter. Okay!

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

Ah, I know this is TMI but when my bladder awakens me around 4am I'll check Twitter, oh wait I don't Tweet or Twitt (although I am one, a twit I mean).
Aw shucks...I'm going back to bed.

Robena Grant said...

I'm reading Zoe Archer's book, Scoundrel. I love her voice. She's a sophisticated writer who does great research, but doesn't beat the reader over the head with it. Her pacing and world building is fabulous.

BookEnds, A Literary Agency said...

You can see what we're looking for both here:
http://www.bookends-inc.com/submit.html
and here:
http://www.bookends-inc.com/about_us.html

and yes, YA is on the list.

I'm afraid there is no Dummies guide to definitions since genres have loose borders and definitions change and bend over time along with reader interests.

steampunk is a subgenre and I like both adult and ya steampunk.

BookEnds represents a variety of genres. as for literary cross-genre, I'd have to know about the book.

--jhf

Alli Sinclair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alli Sinclair said...

Reading this post has got me all inspired to finish the revisions on my cross-genre fantasy romance and get that query to you asap. Thanks for letting us know what you are looking for!

Anna Banks said...

THAT is why you are such a good agent. Look at the variety of things you recently enjoyed. I'm glad you're so open-minded.

L.W. at "The Fistful of Words" said...

Good advice. Thank you.

sarah said...

Jessica -- am in the middle of a steampunk YA. Any chance you'd be willing to read a proposal instead of a finished manuscript?

lvae said...

I've been reading your blog for ages - and I was always under the impression that BookEnds didn't represent YA period. I'm delighted to have discovered that Kim does - and you have an affinity for steampunk YA!

Adding you guys to my list of agents-to-query then, when I'm reading to start submitting!