Friday, April 08, 2011

Author Speed Date

The idea of speed dating is that you get 10 minutes to sit down with a prospective date and get to know them. In that spirit, we present Author Speed Date. A quick 10 minutes for you to get to know some of our clients. Today we'd like you to meet Rita Henuber.

BookEnds Author Speed Date

Name (the one you’re published under): Rita Henuber

Speed date Bio (one or two lines): Rita grew up on Florida’s east coast, married a Marine, and has lived and traveled many places.

Web Link: http://www.ritahenuber.com

Next Book, pub date: Under Fire, August 22, 2011

Agent: Jessica Faust

About Me

Real Name or Pseudonym: Rita Henuber

Currently Reading: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Next on Your Reading List: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Facebook or Twitter (include account name): Rita Henuber

Three authors living or dead you would want to have dinner with: Only three? Lee Child. Linda Howard. Jenny Crusie.

Jet-setter or armchair traveler: Prefer Jet-setter. There are times when the armchair has to do. Heavy sigh.

Glass ½ full or ½ empty: ½ full

Tea or Coffee: Coffee

Live to write or Write to live: LIVE TO WRITE

About My Writing

When (time of day) I write: Early is best. Before checking email, the net, or blogging. Spurts in the afternoon and evening.

Writing soundtrack: Different for each book and scene. I spend time searching for the right music but it's worth it.

Character Inspirations: Characters are strictly from my mind. They spring up with all their flaws and strengths.

Plot Inspirations: News and world events.

Setting Inspirations: My characters tell me where they want to be. Funny, but it's generally someplace I've been.


Plotter (carefully plot books) or Pantser (write from the seat of my pants): Plottser. Some of each.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is your process for doing both plotting and pantsing?

Thanks, Diana

Rita said...

Diana
I plot beginning and end, turning points, and character arcs. What goes on in between is the pantsing. My characters come up with some interesting things for me to write about.

Bev Pettersen said...

Hey Rita, looking forward to reading Under Fire (with a half-full glass of wine.) See you're reading Laura H's new book. Loved Seabiscuit!

Rita said...

Bev,
Good morning. Thanks for stopping by. I loved Seabiscuit also. Unbroken is amazing. Another true story and the man is still alive. Talk about character arc’s.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. So much to read here! I am an "aspiring" writer (I hate saying that), but honestly am overwhelmed with the whole process.

Also - feel like such a "wannabe" - because I don't have a full-fledged idea or manuscript. I can't decide which avenue I want to go in even! It's hard because I work full-time (not an excuse I know!), but I hate my job so much that it leaves me sick and drained. And writing takes years to get off the ground - meaning I can't just quit my job and wait for a miracle...

Look forward to reading more. Any advice is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a beginning writer. Did you devote a lot of time to learning the craft of writing (workshops, books, etc), or did you just do it?

Carol

Rita said...

bakingnbooks--
Wow! A lot going on for you. I have a seat on the Overwhelmed Board I soo know where you are coming from. Every author started where you are now. Do you want to write romance? If so, check out Romance Writers of America web page. Then see if there is a local chapter near you. You can attend a couple of meetings before joining to get a feel for it and decide if this is what you want. RWA and it’s chapters offer many, many workshops on the craft of writing. Your favorite author may have a web page that offers advice to authors. I can tell you when I started out the BookEnds blog was a haven for me. Search the archives.
Remember every author’s journey is different. Many have a day job and write and hour or two a day. Others are lucky enough to do it full time.
You can do this.

Rose said...

1) What genre do you write? 2)What do you like most about your books?

Rita said...

Carol,
It was a little of just do it and taking classes. I saw an online course for Beginning Romance Writing and took it. I thought you sat down and put one of the stories in my head into words. I was stunned when the instructor said I need a plot, a character type and arc. The story needed a goal, the characters had to have motivation and it needed conflict. Yeaph! That’s how green I was. I started Under Fire in that class. I took a few more classes from that instructor and finished the book. I spent a year taking classes and workshops, reading some books and writing. I also followed industry professionals blogs. There is a lot out there that doesn’t work for me. It was difficult sifting through it all to find what I needed.

Rita said...

Rose
I write Romantic Suspense/Thriller. I like my heroines best. Some say they are kick-a**.
I say they are confidant, don’t play mind games. Know what they want, go after it and always get their man.

Diana Layne said...

Ah, Rita, I'm a plottster too, I love that term! :)

Barbara said...

Congratulations on being a published author. I know how hard you have worked and I'm so pleased that it has happened for you. Can't wait to read your book. Hope "Jake" hasn't changed too much over all the editing.

Rita said...

Barbara,
Nope, she hasn't changed. I am very lucky to have a wonderful editor who loved my heroine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita! I'm with Bev! Can't wait to read Under Fire with a full glass/bottle of chard by my side! When does it come out?

Rita said...

August 22. Yippee!

Anonymous said...

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Rita said...

Nope. I considered jet pilot, bull rider, ninja, and gator rassler. But the voices in my head finally convinced me to sit down and put the words to paper

Patricia said...

Great way to do an interview with an Author Speed Date. Reminds of when they say to take your 80,000+ word novel and summarize it into a paragraph in your query letter!

Rita said...

Patricia
LOL! Yes it is. Good analogy