Monday, May 23, 2011

Sending Ideas to Clients

When you have seen what could be a good idea for one of your authors, have you ever sent that idea, at the same time, to more than one writer?

I have, but never without letting the authors know. Occasionally I will have a publisher approach me with an idea for a book they would like to publish. This could be a new fiction series or a nonfiction title. Typically they are looking for a certain type of author, either an author with a specific platform or specific writing style. In those instances I will often send out an email to multiple authors at once to see who might be interested. I always, always let them know I'm talking to multiple people and will send over all who are interested and leave the final decision to the publisher.

There are other times, however, when I know that one of my clients would be perfect for the project and will approach only her. If she turns it down I will then talk to others.

Jessica

5 comments:

Stephanie Damore said...

Another reason why it's so important to have a good agent.

Kristin Laughtin said...

I'm glad you're so open with your authors about talking to multiple people at once. In any situation, it's beneficial for everyone to have the most information available and to all be on the same page.

I do wonder, though, if whoever asked this question was worried you would pull ideas from queries for this. (In that case, I'm sure you've stated somewhere that you haven't, because it's a question I've seen on agent blogs a lot and not one has said they do this, even though most ideas are less original than the authors think--it's just not very ethical.)

Lauren B. said...

@Kristin Laughtin--

She did cover that! Very recently, in fact:
http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2011/05/someone-elses-idea.html

Michael Seese said...

Me Me ME! Whatever it is, I'll write it. Poetry! Fiction! The history of Antarctica! I'll do it!

That doesn't come across as needy, right?

Sherryl said...

Publishers also do this, but they tend to ask authors whom they have already published. This was how I ended up being one of the writers for the Our Australian Girl series, and it's been a great experience.

My agent has done this a couple of times but the book concept doesn't always suit, or you don't have time.

I imagine packagers might contact agents, too?