Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Approaching Agents with a Publishing Offer

The agency representing me abruptly closed its doors, two months before my debut novel releases (yeah, bad timing huh).

Then a few days ago I got a three book contract offer, and I have no agent. I was wondering how to word a "query" to a handful of agents I want to approach to represent my novels, along with the 3-book deal.

Might I just send a simple email explaining? Or do I send a query of the book that landed the 3-book offer?


I would put something like, "publishing contract offered, need representation" in your subject heading to grab the agents' attention and then I would start a simple email explaining, and finish the email with your query so that agents have all the information they need to know if this is a project that might be right for them.

Good luck and congratulations!

Jessica

3 comments:

Elizabeth Janette said...

Congratulations on your wonderful success! Good luck with the agent search.

Stephanie McGee said...

Good luck with all of it! I can only imagine the panic you went through when all this went down.

maldives tourism said...

Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.