Monday, March 05, 2012

Gifts 101

I love my agent. I think she's fabulous, and I never want her to doubt for an instant that I think she's fabulous.

Are there "rules" governing gifts from the writer to the agent? I figure it's okay to send cookies just 'cuz, but what about a gift when the agent sells your manuscript? Is it okay to send flowers? A bottle of the agent's favorite wine? (I've recently found out you can have anything delivered in Manhattan.)

For the record, my agent has never asked me for anything other than a splendid manuscript.


You sound like a sweet and fabulous client, and what I love most about this post is that I don't often get questions from readers telling me they love their agent. Yay for you and yay for your agent. It sounds like you're a good match.

There are no "rules" when it comes to giving gifts to your agent. Of course no agent expects gifts (editors don't either) and certainly they aren't required, but sometimes we just like giving gifts to show our appreciation and some of us are just natural gift givers.

When it comes to giving gifts I think it's about the giving and not the gift. If you want specific ideas, though, get to know your agent a little and see what she likes or just think about what you see from Tweets and blogs. For most agents, anyway, you can never go wrong with food or booze. I think any of the thoughts you have on what you send your agent will be touching and greatly appreciated. Heck, I'll tear up over a thank-you email from a client. Sometimes that's the best gift I can get.


Jessica

7 comments:

Anita Saxena said...

Yes, food and booze are universal gifts almost anyone will like :-)

Adam Gaylord said...

Heck, if you were my agent I'd get you a pony.

Artemis Grey said...

I'm really glad to hear that it's okay to give gifts. Since I'm still agent hunting, it's always been a strange, silly-sounding question. I mean, in my head, I've always thought 'if/when I get an agent and we click, I can't wait to show them how much I appreciate them' but then I look at that thought, and remind myself that this writing to sell successfully (and for me successful means selling enough to keep selling stuff, if that makes sense) and I'm probably being all squishy and soft and plenty of writers love their agents without being best friends with them, or exchanging gifts outside the 'job' part of things. It's great to know that it's okay to love them in a squishy-but-not-high-drama way :)

Anne-Marie said...

I would think it's a lot like wanting to let a teacher or stylist know that you appreciate them. A nice bottle of wine, flowers, or chocolates is never a wrong move when you are trying to tell someone their efforts matter to you.

Nice post.

Melissa said...

I just received my advanced copy on Friday and I am in a pickle about what to send my editor. I once heard it was customary to send flowers to your editor at the book's publication but I have a guy editor so I'm thinking cookies. And ideas would be appreciated.

Bonnee Crawford said...

When I get an agent, and when my agent helps me become a published author, the praise and thanks will be endless, just saying. Anyone who helps me live my dream will be forever loved by me. :)

Kate Douglas said...

I love sending gifts when I'm able to, and have sent everything from expensive wine (when I'm feeling flush) to chocolates when the budget is tighter, but I don't know of anyone, agent or editor, who doesn't appreciate feeling appreciated, and I don't think thoughtful gifts are ever out of line.