Friday, July 30, 2010

RWA 2010

Jessica rushed off to a breakfast meeting this morning, so I thought I'd pop on here and say hello from the Romance Writers of America conference in hot, sticky Walt Disney World.

Most of our days have been spent meeting clients to catch up and talk career strategy, speaking on workshop panels (I'm presenting today with St. Martin's editor, Rose Hilliard, and my client Christie Craig and her writing partner Faye Hughes about "Surviving, Overcoming, and Learning the Truth about Rejection'), and attending various cocktail parties to network with authors and other industry professionals.

Obviously, the highlight of the RWA conference came Wednesday night at the BookEnds party. ;) I coerced Jessica into holding it at a sushi/karaoke bar in the hotel. And well, I just didn't think it would be very sporting of us to host a party there without getting up on stage and belting out a little number, ourselves. We felt it was pretty reasonable to assume the place would have the "Mickey Mouse Club" Song in their system, but I thought it would be more fun to change up the lyrics a bit. Here's the BookEnds version:

Who's the best agency
With books for all to read?
B-O-O-K-E-N-D-S-L-I-T

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there
Come share a drink with me
B-O-O-K-E-N-D-S-L-I-T

BookEnds Lit! Read our blog!
BookEnds Lit! Read our books!
Forever let us hold our authors high!
High! High! High!

Come along and write a book
And join the agency!
B-O-O-K-E-N-D-S-L-I-T

Frankly, our performance wasn't exactly seamless. Simon Cowell would NOT have approved. And I'm not sure our clients could even discern my clever, cutesy little lyrics. But we truly had a blast. And we're pretty sure our clients got a kick out of us making fools out of ourselves. But that's half the fun, right?

Now to brainstorm how to top it with next year's bash!

Have a great weekend!

Kim

13 comments:

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

You ladies are having entirely too much fun.

I sang karaoke once, only problem...it wasn't a karaoke bar. The band was pissed.
I didn't get kicked out but I did fall asleep in my booth.

R.S. Bohn said...

Sounds like you're all having a blast! I'm jealous!

Jessie Mac said...

Simon Cowell knows nothing. It was clear, simple and done with much enthusiasm. Let me know when you get the record deal, Kim ; )

You too have a great weekend.

Jessie Mac
www.jessiemac.com

Anonymous said...

Kim nailed this party and should get all the credit. It was tons of fun.

Jessica

Kathy said...

I saw Jessica on the escalator this morning. I recognized her from her picture. She is one of the few people I've seen here who actually looks like her pic. I refrained from yelling across the lobby, "Hey Jessica! Love your blog!"

Suzan Harden said...

LOL At least Christie wasn't chasing you through the halls and tying you up this year.

Martha Ramirez said...

Sounds like fun! Wish I could have been there!

Sheila Cull said...

Very cute song. Next year do the same thing (your theme song) and have it pre printed so the audience can join in! Any idea is a good idea because it leads to something new.

Robin said...

I know that people in publishing often move around A LOT. From 1990-1992, I worked in the publicity department at St. Martin's, and Claudia Riemer was the director of the department. I really liked her and have often wondered what happened to her. I can't imagine her leaving publishing (but you never know). Anyway, you mentioned your meeting and I thought about it again. I don't suppose you know who/where she is? Or someone who does? Obviously, not expecting you to Nancy Drew this case. If it is an easy answer, well that would be great!

Stephanie said...

So wish I could have been there!! Sounds like a fab time!!!

June Shaw said...

Fun! Kim, now I'm really sorry that I didn't get to go to the conference. Next year, I'll be there for sure-- if y'all are singing.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I just got back today and I have to say the party was definitely one of the highlights of the conference! And the singing was multo bene!

I was so pleased to meet the many wonderful authors you both represent whose books I've read! But it definitely made me feel humble!

Janet Morgenstern said...

My parodies usually aren't fit for an audience that contains my grandmother. Well done.