Monday, June 20, 2011

Lauren Is Open for Submissions

Hi, everybody! I’m Lauren Ruth, the newest addition to BookEnds, and I’d like to take a moment to introduce myself to all of you faithful blog readers. I began my publishing career ages ago (okay, so it was really just a couple of years ago) at Simon & Schuster, where I was an editorial intern. Then, after interning at BookEnds, I was hired as a full-time literary assistant. I’ve been reading queries for a long time, but now I’m officially announcing that I’m open to submissions. I look forward to working with authors to build their careers and their voices, and to fine-tuning the brands and skills they already have. The following are the genres in which I’m interested:

In fiction:
  • Literary fiction (the love of my life)
  • Romance (all subgenres, but I’m particularly interested in erotic, historical, or paranormal—or any combination thereof!)
  • Women’s fiction
  • Chick lit
  • Young Adult
  • Middle grade
  • Mystery, (all subgenres, but especially cozies . . . I am, after all, working at BookEnds!)
  • Science Fiction/Fantasy
  • Historical fiction
  • Steampunk

In nonfiction:
  • Memoir
  • Parenting and family
  • Relationships
  • Food and lifestyle
  • Business
  • Popular science
  • Popular culture
  • Popular psychology


If your book falls under any of the above genres, please take a look at the submission guidelines on BookEnds’ website to learn how to query me. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

Lauren
Lruth@bookends-inc.com

33 comments:

SJ Drum said...

Welcome! I will be sending queries soon for my new novel and will keep you in mind.It is Urban Fantasy with a bit of steampunk scenery and sounds like something that might interest you.

Happy Hunting!

sj-drum.blogspot.com

Trisha said...

Wow, that's a big range of genres! Love to see that :)

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

It's not quite 8:30 and I bet your inbox is full already. Yes I will be one of the masses who will be scratching at your door.
Much luck.
Ms Trite says:
May all your dreams come true,twenty years from now. Gives you something to look forward to.

Fred said...

I note that your list of genre does not sync up with the guidelines for the agency. Will items, such as SciFi, that conflict be rejected unread?

Nicole said...

Welcome Lauren! Glad to hear the Book Ends team is expanding. Hope you find great queries (and novels!) to grow your list.

Grant said...

Welcome, Lauren! It's great to see an agent accepting Middle Grade here at Bookends.

Best of luck in your search :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Welcome, Lauren. You're in great company at BookEnds!

Tom M Franklin said...

it's quite the happy coincidence that I'm querying today with a MG steampunk book! (it's already in your undoubtedly overcrowded inbox)

enjoy the onslaught of queries!


-- Tom

ryan field said...

Best wishes, Lauren.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Nice to meet you.

Lauren Ruth said...

Fred, to answer your question, I am interested in science fiction while the other agents are not.

Anonymous said...

Welcome! You are now on my list.

Matthew J. Beier said...

Congrats, Lauren! I wish you all the best. I just read your January reflections on "The Hunger Games" and YA literature, and it got me all a'flutter. I love your assessment of why adults flock to stories of that nature. I never thought of it that way, but it's so true!

Kristin Laughtin said...

Welcome aboard! I'm always glad to see more agents willing to take on science fiction/fantasy! Best of luck with building a client list.

Unknown said...

I'm quite curious how many queries you will receive in the first 24 hours.

I will be querying you once my steampunk novel is finished. :D

literary-scribbles.blogspot.com

Laila Knight said...

Welcome Lauren. It's wonderful to see someone post that they represent sci-fi. I imagine you'll be bombarded.

kah said...

CONGRATS! *throws confetti*
Let the deluge begin!

I queried Kim not too long ago and haven't heard back. Otherwise, I would have loved to query you.

Best wishes!

Robena Grant said...

The family is growing. ; )
Welcome, Lauren. I hope you find some nice shiny gems in your inbox.

Kate Larkindale said...

Welcome! What a fantastic range of genres you're looking for! I hope you find some gems in there.

Lauren Ruth said...

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

Carrie Butler said...

Best of luck, Lauren! :)

Evangeline Holland said...

Congrats on joining Book Ends, Lauren!

I now have two questions:

1) Will Lauren (or Jessica Alvarez) join you and Kim on the blog?

and

2) Lauren is open to a vast number of genres--could she pinpoint some of her favorite books and/or influences in each, just to get a handle on the sort of books, writing voices, and/o styles she is attracted to?

Rita said...

Woot! congrat Lauren.

Huntress said...

ah, well. I don't know whether to congratulate you or offer sympathy.

*joining the thundering herd*

Jeff King said...

Awesome... I hope to send you material, one day.

Thx for the introduction.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I'm glad to see BookEnds, LLC is expanding to MGs and YAs. I look forward to submitting to you.

Sally Hepworth said...

Welcome Lauren,

I was interested to see you put chick-lit. I thought that genre was 'dead.'

Leslie Deaton said...

Congrats Lauren on your new position! Looking forward to querying with you soon!

My first novel A Marked Past is coming out in Oct 2011.

More details at: http://www.lesliedeaton.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Congratulations! That's awesome news :)

Emily said...

Welcome and congratulations!

Jodi R. said...

Welcome Lauren! I was part of the stampede to query you yesterday. I woudl love to hear how many you got day one and/or week one!

@Sally Hepworth - I don't think Chick Lit is dead - it's evolving!

Jodi R.

Melodie Wright said...

Welcome Lauren! Very jealous you get to read for a living (yeah, even the slush!) I think I missed my calling...be sure to post how it's going. :)

Giora said...

Congrats Lauren and best wishes from Canada in finding great books to represent.