Friday, April 03, 2015

A Mid-Afternoon Boost

Do you get that afternoon slump? Around 3:00 my energy just wanes. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes I'm thirsty, but mostly I'm just tired.

I'm always looking for ways to get out of that slump and recently I've come across Bulletproof Coffee. Have you tried this? I haven't yet, but you can be sure I'm going to.

Bulletproof Coffee (courtesy of the Pioneer Woman)

  • 12 ounces, hot, strong coffee (I make mine in the aeropress)
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 Tablespoon cold, unsalted butter 

Now here's the part that makes it extra delicious and something I've never heard before. Add all the ingredients to a blender and mix it up until it's rich and creamy.


What do you do for your slump (if you get one)? 

--jhf

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm a seriously addicted coffee drinker and drink a cup of Bulletproof Coffee every morning. It works!

The Other Stephen King said...

I confess, I'm probably not going to try your recipe due to my inability to convince my taste buds that coconut deserves to continue through my mouth in a stomach-wise direction. That said, my wife loves it, and so I'll suggest it to her.

What do I do for the midafternoon slump? Nothing, anymore. I used to get it bad, to the point where I had to drink caffeine by the bucket. That would then cause me to be overly awake when bedtime came, and then I found that alcohol was an effective counteragent to caffeine, but that wasn't a good long-term answer, either. But then I got with a good D.O. who figured out that my thyroid wasn't working, and neither were the synthetic thyroid pills. Ever since I got that regulated, I sail right through till evening.

- TOSK

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

Hey The Other Stephen King, you are right, it's all about the thyroid. For me, once the meds were on track, no slumps for years, until the malady of maladies, the one to which we all eventually succumb, age.
I'm active and healthy but boy do I love a good fifteen minutes prone on the couch. Problem is my boss frowns on sleeping on the job. I'll just have to kick HER off the couch next time.

Charlene Ross said...

@Carolynnwith2Ns if I could like your comment I would! (You're funny!)

A friend of mine was talking about butter in coffee the other day. I can't wrap my head around it (as much as I love both), but I am intrigued and will definitely have to try it, because yes, I definitely get the 3:00 slumps!

S.P. Bowers said...

I go find my three year old. Being with him is like sticking my finger in an electrical socket.

AJ Blythe said...

I don't drink coffee. I know, I'm strange, lol.

Instead I usually grab a handful of nuts or a piece of cheese.

Unknown said...



thanks for the info
Penyakit Jantung