Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What Jessica A. Is Reading

Like a lot of people, summer is the time I get to do the most reading for pure fun. Beach vacations offer plenty of opportunity. Also, I’m an admitted tv addict and, once those season finales air, I start to fill my nights with more reading. So, what have I been reading besides submissions?

I snatched up The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins once Jessica F finished reading it. Oddly, I, too, ended up reading a lot of it on a train. And I, too, really liked the book. The heroine was unreliable yet sympathetic, and I was eager for her to unravel the mystery. I will admit, I was hoping the plot would have a few more twists and turns than it did, but it was still definitely worth the read.

Next up was Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta. I’d picked it out last year as a gift for my father and really wanted to read it but only now got a chance to borrow it back from him. This wilderness thriller had me flipping the pages late into the night as I needed to know if a teenage boy managed to escape a pair of truly creepy and sadistic assassins. This book had several unexpected twists and I was so emotionally invested in the characters that I actually cried at the end. That never happens to me with thrillers. I highly recommend the read. It was the first book of Koryta’s that I’d read but it certainly won’t be the last. In fact, I may go buy another one right now to be my next read…

--Jessica Alvarez



                                            

1 comment:

AJ Blythe said...

I have been wondering whther or not to read Girl on the Train. I like the premise but when I read the blurb it sounds more like what I call a 'deep and meaningful' book, than a crime novel. So still not sure.

I haven't heard of Those Who Wish Me Dead but it sounds like my type of read.

Thanks for the review, Jessica.