Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Life as an Intern at BookEnds, LLC

Ever since my first post on the BookEnds blog, I'm sure everyone has been scrambling around wondering and trying to find out what it's like to be an intern at BookEnds. I'm here to put your wonderings to rest with this latest post.

A typical day here at BookEnds, LLC, starts for me when I walk up the stairs to the office, usually around 11:00 (I'm not much of a morning person, and thankfully BookEnds accommodates this). I sit down at my beautiful antique desk and start opening mail (see my first post to learn more about this process). Throughout the day I'll log in the mail, take care of the BookEnds editor email account, and, to be honest, send out a lot of rejection letters. Oh, and I read, a lot! I thought I was a bookworm before, now I think I read about 10 books every day I'm here, which is only two a week because I have a second job, since I don't get paid here. So those two days a week, Jessica, Jacky, and Kim make sure I'm busy so as to get their . . . uh . . . money's worth? Maybe that's not the right phrase. Okay, so I don't get paid in money, but I do get rewarded with knowledge—oh, and every Wednesday morning, some breakfast. That's right, BookEnds holds their weekly meetings at a diner, where I am rewarded for my hard work with an omelet, toast, home fries, and a lot of tea. Here we discuss ideas, projects, what we're reading, and of course our favorite moments in last week's reality shows (I can't wait for this week's Project Runway!) It may seem that this job is all just fun, games, and glamour, but rest assured: There's a lot of responsibility that comes with this gig (again I ask for you to refer to my first post).

In closing, I'd just really like to let everyone know that I couldn't have asked for a better internship than the one I have here at BookEnds. And I hope everyone now can live their dreams of working at BookEnds vicariously through my posts.

—The Intern

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good sense of humor is a prerequisite for working at BookEnds! Thanks for giving us an insightful (and funny) look at the inner workings of a lit agency.

Anonymous said...

And no...we didn't pay her to write that complimentary post either!

Gina Robinson said...

Hi Intern--

Client here. I've really enjoyed your posts! Little by little from your descriptions I'm building a mental picture of the office--second floor or higher, antique desks, lots of manuscripts and mail everywhere. Just how a lit agency should look.

Thanks for all you do!

Anonymous said...

I assume you're talking about the Stirling Diner on Wednesday mornings? That's my neck of the woods. I might just pop over there some time for an omelette and see what I can learn by eavesdropping!!! :)