Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Saying It Loud, But Not Proud

I suck at grammar and punctuation.

There you have it.

I said it.

Grammar rules are like algebra to me. I get the basic concepts, but for whatever reason I can't really grasp them. I'm so bad in fact, that an old high school teacher of mine once cornered me at a cocktail party (I actually think it might have been my own bridal shower) to ask how I could possibly have success in publishing if my grades in HS grammar were always so poor. Sigh.

I'm not a copyeditor, I've never pretended to be. When I look at books I look at the larger picture. Does this book grab me, is it compelling and will it sell? I'll leave the details to the experts.

So I ask you to be kind when reading the blog. I don't have an editor and sometimes I only have time to skim each post before it runs. There will be errors, probably a lot. If it's really bothersome, you might just want to stop reading.

There. Phew. I got that out. I'm not proud of it, but I've come to accept it.

--JHF

7 comments:

Lurking Leo said...

What you have to say is succinct and to the point. The grammar snobs can either take what is offered and profit or miss the boat.

Kimber Shook said...

Admitting you have a problem is always the first step. ;)

You have a vast amount of knowledge that has always been helpful. That's what's important to me, not the amount of grammar issues.

I'm so happy you've come back.

Tracy Campbell said...

Phew! Now I can breathe easier. I often don't blog because I feel my writing has to be perfect. Your post made me realize I should just write. Thank you.

J.L. Murphey said...

Algebra, I get but grammar I fairly suck at.

LS said...

I'm fairly certain some grammar rules are meant to be broken when writing fiction. At a minimum, there exist loopholes, especially when writing in the first person.

Optional Delusion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Optional Delusion said...

I actually find it inspiring that a literary agent can be grammar challenged. There's hope for us all!